Join Ebony Noelle Golden and community members for an OPEN REHEARSAL + POTLUCK PICNIC in honor of Black August, a yearly remembering of freedom fighters and radical movements for liberation that have taken place in the month of August. During the event, we will experience excerpts of the ritual, share stories, and food.
About 125th & FREEdom: What would Harriet Tubman say if she returned to speak to us today? Would the state of of our society enrage her? Part protest, part parade, part processional, Ebony Noelle Golden's 125th & FREEdom is a durational, ritual performance that venerates the radical legacies of liberation and collective resilence in the face of erasure, injustice, and displacement in Harlem and beyond. www.bettysdaughterarts.com.
It takes a community to lift up a performance. 125th & FREEdom is (or has been) generously supported by: The Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics at New York University, National Black Theatre, Double Edge Theatre, Betty's Daughter Arts Collaborative, LLC, Angela's Pulse- Dancing While Black Fellowship, and Dance Your Future: Artist and Mentor Collaborative Residency.
STAY TUNED... The World Premiere of 125th & FREEdom will be presented by National Black Theatre June 2019.
1. This is a community event. All ages are welcome.
2. Wear comfortable shoes. We will be walking and standing.
3. Hydrate and bring water.
4. Dress comfortably.
5. This is an immersive + interactive open rehearsal that happens on the street. Come excited to witness and share.
6. We will conclude with a potluck in the park. Bring a drink, a snack, or more, to share.
7. Some spaces may not be fully accessible by wheelchair or walker.
8. Do not let money stop you from joining us.
9. This event will happen rain or shine. Bring an umbrella and/or rain jacket, if necessary. In the event of lightening storm, the event will be canceled and all sales will be refunded. There will not be another open rehearsal if the event is canceled.
10. If you have any specifc questions about the rehearsal, email firstname.lastname@example.org.